Oh my, do I love music. Whether it be the perfect soundtrack for the work day, or a familiar tune that brings all the warm and fuzzies, or lyrics so poetic you want to cry, I adore the volumes a song can speak (see what I did there). Then, there are those songs that speak YOUR exact truth at the exact time you need to hear it. The ones that tell the exact story of your life at the moment you hear it. And your heart is so encouraged that a songwriter somewhere who you’ve never met understands the core of how you feel. Music just speaks to a different level of my soul.
A little while back, I made three different divorce playlists of the songs that portrayed my range of emotions (start to finish) during the whole long saga. In case you’re looking for some tunes to speak to your heart, give these a listen.
Enjoy, sisters. My prayers are with you!
Image by Elissa Voss Photography
There were still some lingering songs that didn’t quite fit into the Jesus or Country music playlists. These songs were the smorgasbord of my former marriage, separation, and divorce. From emo to pop to folk, this mixtape encompasses just as much (if not more) emotion as the others. If need be, pour yourself some coffee, listen from start to finish, and have a real deep cry. You’ll feel better, I promise. If there are any powerful cheating/breakup/divorce/recovery songs that I’ve missed please send them my way. I would love to make a compilation of YOUR favorites.
- These Arms of Mine – Otis Redding
- Book of Love – Peter Gabriel
- Does He Love You – Rilo Kiley
- Come Pick Me Up – Ryan Adams
- Saints and Sailors – Dashboard Confessional
- Try – Pink
- Let Go – Frou Frou
- Ballad of Love and Hate – The Avett Brothers
- I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
- Say Something – A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera
- All You Had To Do Was Stay – Ryan Adams
- Hello – Adele
- Shake It Out – Florence and the Machine
- Fight Song – Rachel Platten
Jesus Music Monday was a huge hit (no pun intended). Thank you for all of the great feedback and encouragement. It wasn’t just the Jesus music that pulled me through during the time of the affair and my divorce. Let’s be real, nothing says life’s storms and “it’ll all be okay” like country music. The span of music below includes my former marriage, the affair, my divorce, and now my new love. Even seeing it all in one sentence feels like a lot, so prepare for the range of feelings you may experience as you listen. Enjoy!
- Down the Road by Kenny Chesney
- A Woman Like You by Lee Brice
- The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney
- Should’ve Said No by Taylor Swift
- You Lie by The Band Perry
- Give it Away by George Strait
- A Little Bit Stronger by Sara Evans
- Girl Crush by Little Big Town
- Stay by Sugarland
- Sweet Annie by Zac Brown Band
- Riser by Dierks Bently
- Stay a Little Longer by Brothers Osborne
One of my top guilty pleasures has always been cheesy worship music. I’m talking 90’s evangelical youth group style. I could listen to it all day, every day with no complaints. Music, in general, can have unbelievable power. Whether it be lyrics or melody, there’s no stopping the emotional response the right song can bring. For me, music created a lifeline of God’s promises. The following is a mixtape of songs that spoke to me. The songs range from news of the affair to present day. Wherever you’re at on this crazy road, my prayer is that one of these songs moves you. Enjoy!
- All the Poor and Powerless by The Digital Age
- Mighty to Save by Hillsong United
- I Need a Miracle by Third Day
- Dawn to Dusk by All Sons and Daughters
- Restore by Chris August
- Praise You In This Storm by Casting Crowns
- My Story by Big Daddy Weave
- Tell Your Heart to Beat Again by Danny Gokey
- Good Good Father by Chris Tomlin